Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rodiklisrodiklis  Latest imagesLatest images  IeškotiIeškoti  RegistruotisRegistruotis  PrisijungtiPrisijungti  

Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell )

Go down 
3 posters
AutoriusPranešimas
Nicole
Moderatorius
Nicole

City : Klaipėda

Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell ) Empty
RašytiTemos pavadinimas: Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell )   Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell ) Icon_minitimeSk. 08 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Guitar World: Your bands incorporate different styles of Eighties commercial metal, metalcore and thrash. How would you describe your sound?

JINXX: With Black Veil Brides, it’s just rock and roll with some neoclassical influences

JAKE PITTS: it’s music to down some whisky to.

JINXX: the world has needed this revolution for some time. People have lost sight of what rock and roll really is. We’ve lived through 20 years of boring-ass music and we’re trying to make it exciting again, with real performances and real playing.

BEN BRUCE: we’re a little bit different from Black Veil Brides. They’re playing an old-school style of metal, whereas we’re keeping it modern but bringing in the spirit of the Eighties, when people went to shows to have themselves a good time.

PITTS: Dude, you’ve got Sebastian Bach playing with you. You’re doing the same shit!

BRUCE: We do it a little bit different. I haven’t stolen my mum’s makeup yet.

JAKE: Have you ever heard of KISS, the biggest rock band in the history of rock and roll?

BRUCE: I disagree with that statement. I think the Beatles are probably quite a bit bigger than KISS.

GW: Is the look of Black Veil brides more of a nod to KISS or Motley Crüe?

PITTS: No, it’s just that nobody does this anymore, so somebody’s gotta do it, right? I we were to open for a black metal band, we’d probably fit in perfectly.

JINXX: No, not really.

PITTS: Well, we would until we played. And then everyone would go, “what is this shit? They’re actually playing songs!”

GW: So many modern metal bands seem to compete to see who can write more breakdowns.

CAMERON LIDDELL: I like breakdowns. They’re really fun to play.

JINXX: I hate breakdowns. I want to shred. I want to play classical interludes. I’m a nerd.

PITTS: I like to play speed metal shit, crazy riffs and guitar solos.

BRUCE: I understand why a lot of metal elitists, especially guitarists say, “Oh, breakdowns are a cop out. They’re so easy.” Well, the Beatles is easy, Oasis is easy, most of Zeppelin is easy. Sometimes simple is better.

GW: What guitarist had the most influence on your playing?

JINXX: Definitely Randy Rhoads. He was like a classical musician playing heavy metal.

PITTS: I would have to say Paul Gilbert. He shreds and does it with such style.

BRUCE: I used to just listen to metal, but then I got into blues, like B.B. King, Eric Clapton and Gary Moore. Once I discovered that, I realized that sped isn’t everything; it’s more about playing with feeling. Even on our new album, the lead licks under the riffs are very blues oriented.

GW: What motivated you to want to create music that combines so many different, seemingly contradictory styles?

PITTS: My mom is actually the biggest inspiration in my life. She’s a classically trained pianist and has been extremely supportive. She taught me about music and melody and the value of being original and doing what you want to do.

JINXX: Both of my parents were musicians. My dad was a guitar player and singer, as was my mother. When I was very young they moved to Des Moines, and at the time it was a hermitage of metal. A lot of the bands were doing really unique and unusual things that blew me away.

GW: Was Slipknot especially exciting for you?

JINXX: Yeah, I grew up around the Slipknot guys, and my brother [Travis Becker] was the drummer for Stone Sour back in their early days. When I was 10 years old, I was playing some songs from Metallica’s Black Album with Corey Taylor singing. When I was a teenager I moved to the West Coast because I wanted to form a metal band. Nobody was doing that at the time-everyone was doing grunge or nu-metal, and I thought that was the death of rock. Then, finally, I found Black Veil brides, and we all wanted to shred and play real metal.

GW: Did any of you take lessons, or were you self-taught?

BRUCE: I picked up a guitar at 11 years old and figured out songs by ear from bands I liked. I used to watch a lot of live Metallica DVDs to see where they put their fingers. Learning by ear has its ups and downs. You’re more limited in what you can play, but I like it because a lot of people who have lessons are taught to write music in a certain way and they’re afraid to look outside of the box and try things that instructors teach you not to do. Whereas no one taught me anything, so as far as I’m concerned, there are no rules.

JINXX: when I was seven, my older brother taught me my first riff on the guitar which was “Crazy Train”. I immediately learned where to put my fingers on the fret board and how to do power chords and palm muting. It was completely natural. I learned to play metal from there.

GW: Jinxx, you also play violin. Did that make it easier to play guitar?

JINXX: I actually started on guitar. But soon after, I decided that rock and roll sucked and the whole Nineties scene sucked. That’s when I picked up a violin, and that gave me more of an understanding of music theory and playing by ear. I played in a youth orchestra in middle school, and in high school I played in a professional symphony.

BRUCE: I like classical music, too. I’m not gonna lie.

GW: Jinxx, what’s the most important thing you’ve learned theory-wise?

JINXX: “The Star-Spangled Banner,” the way Jimi Hendrix does it. I leaned thirds and fifths and music theory from that. And then I started getting into tablature. Guitar World was the first magazine I started buying regularly, very early on. And that was really helpful in teaching me technique.

GW: Ben, clearly you can play and you enjoy Eighties metal. Why don’t you play more solos?

BRUCE: I just don’t want to be one of those guys that’s wanking up and down his neck all the time. I used to play a lot of leads in my old band, but after listening to a lot of simpler bands and simpler musicians, I decided that less is more. Just because you run your fingers a million miles an hour up and down the fret board doesn’t mean you’re a great guitarist. I’d rather concentrate on songwriting.

PITTS: dude, shredding rules, but the thing is, we’ve always got a song thee. We always leave a dedicated spot for a guitar solo. And with the solos I write, I’m not about showing off. I don’t have a wah pedal, and I don’t do bullshit so you can’t tell what I’m playing. My guitar solos are maybe 15 seconds to a minute long, but they each tell a story and take you on this ride. It’s like a rollercoaster.

JINXX: It’s like with any riff, too. You’ve gotta tell a story. You’ve gotta draw the listener in. any riff you write has to be catchy or have a personality, no matter how technical it is.

BRUCE: Generally. If I’m playing a solo I really don’t want people to notice it’s there.

PITTS: Why?

BRUCE: because I want everyone to appreciate the whole song, so when there’s a solo. All it does is add to the song. I don’t people to go, “oh, that’s a guitar solo. I want to go home and learn it because I want to shred.”

PITTS: i want people to go home and learn my solos and try to play them.

GW: Do you improvise your solos or write them out?

PITTS: I write solos all kinds of ways. I might be in Pro Tools writing a solo and go, “here’s a cool part for the end, here’s a cool part for the beginning, here’s a middle part,” and I’ll piece it together. But I’ve found the best way to write solos is to play along with [a recording of] a song until I come up with something cool. Then I’ll stop the song, figure out what I’ve come up with, and move on to the next part.

GW: Both of your groups are influenced by Eighties acts and you guys say you grew up on those bands. But you weren’t even born when Motley Crüe’s Shout at the Devil came out, in 1983. Who introduced you to Eighties metal?

JINXX: My older brother. He’d always play Motley Crüe, early Ozzy, Metallica, Megadeath. I’d hear that and go, “I want to be that.” When the nineties hit and Nirvana and Soundgarden came out, that was not rock and roll to me. When that shit hit, that was the end of my life.

PITTS: that’s when guitar solos became uncool.

JINXX: I wanted to play guitar. I wanted to be a rock star. I wanted to learn how to shred. And I got made fun of. When I went to middle school, all these kids were saying, “You can’t play ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’? You suck.” And I said, “I can shred.” And they called me a faggot and beat me up and kicked me in the balls. I was like, “one day I’m gonna be a rock star and I’m gonna show you.”

GW: When did the rest of you discover Eighties metal?

PITTS: My dad had the radio on and I heard Guns N’ Roses, Van Halen, Scorpions. I heard their solos and I went, “Fuck yeah!”

BRUCE: My stepdad took me to a Deep Purple concert when I was twelve years old, and he introduced me to a lot of those same bands-like Guns N’ Roses, Scorpions, Skid Row. And I thought, Yeah man, this is what music’s supposed to be about. Not a bunch of whining and screaming about how awful life is.

LIDDELL: My sister is a few years older than me, and she actually introduced me to all kinds of metal. She was way into the whole Eighties thing before I was.

BRUCE: She was a groupie for a few of them wasn’t she?

LIDDELL: No, that was your mum.

GW: You both play downtuned guitars. What did you think when nu-metal came out?

JINXX: I was into Metallica, Megadeath, Randy Rhoads and classical music. I didn’t want to have anything to do with it.

BRUCE: I don’t have a problem with nu-metal or grunge or anything. It’s not my cup of tea. My favorite bands are Scorpions, Motley Crüe, Def Leppard and Cinderella. But music has to progress and change, otherwise those classic Eighties bands would have gotten stale and stagnant and no one would have cared about them anymore. But they didn’t, and now we can sit here in 2011 and talk about how sick the Eighties bands were.

PITTS: Yeah, if that didn’t happen, we wouldn’t be bringing it back.

GW: What’s the best gear for the kind of music you play?

JINXX: definitely B.C. Rich guitars. I started out on them when I was really young, and I still use ’em. I’m all about really low-action guitars, and B.C. Rich gave me and Jake some guitars with incredibly low action that sound incredible. And Peavey gave us those 6505 high-grain amps that rule. We can go straight through with using any effects.

BRUCE: We both have custom Ibanez guitars with Dunlop heavy-gauge strings, and we’ve got Peavey 6505+ heads. I also plug straight into the amp, but Cam uses an MXR distortion pedal. I’ve also got a whole bunch of Line 6 pedals that I’m starting to mess around with.

GW: Young guitarists often have key moments of discovery as they’re learning to play that allow them to gulf huge plateaus-like the discovery of the pentatonic scale, drop-D tuning or palm muting. Did you have any such epiphanies growing up?

LIDDELL: Yeah, we pretty much discovered palm muting, and that was it for us.

JINXX:
Once I learned Metallica, that was a major discovery point for me to grow as a guitarist. From there, I learned to play Kirk Hammett and Randy Rhoads leads. I’d get home from school feeling totally depressed and hating life, and the only thing that got me through the day was picking up my guitar and spending hours and hours learning my favorite songs.

GW: Avenged Sevenfold seem to have broken open the doors for modern bands to indulge in Eighties metal techniques, including solos and harmonized guitar licks. Do you think they’re an important gateway band?

BRUCE: I love them. They started out pretty much like us. And then they took the gloves off and threw out the rulebook and came out with City Of Evil. That was just unreal. They reaffirmed my belief that there are no rules.

JINXX: There haven’t been too many bands in the last five years besides Avenged Sevenfold that have brought back the arena aspect of Rock and roll, and that’s what we’re trying to do as well, but in our own way.

GW: How important is having an image or a stage look? And can it distract from your music?

JINXX:
fans like to focus more on our looks as opposed to our musicianship, so it’s definitely a distraction. But not a lot of people know how good we are as musicians. So far, we’re just a visual band, so we’re very excited to see what happens after people hear our next album. Maybe they’ll start to recognize that we’re all talented players who also have this cool look.

BRUCE: I think having the right look is just as important as having the right songs. I know that sounds stupid, but that’s just the way it is. People want a band they can put on their wall and look at. Even if you’re not a great looking person, you can come across as sexy or desirable if you have the full package.
Atgal į viršų Go down
Vampyrė
Admin
Vampyrė

City : Vilnius

RašytiTemos pavadinimas: Re: Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell )   Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell ) Icon_minitimeSk. 08 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Oho, čia tiek daug apie muziką šneka, kad nesusigaudau. Very Happy va, žinau kaip reikės vaikus augint, kad normalūs užaugtų. nuo mažens prie metalo ir roko augint Very Happy
Jie net yra B.C. Rich tinklapyje [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Atgal į viršų Go down
https://blackveilbrides.forumlt.com
Kaamilee
Narys
Kaamilee

City : Vilnius

RašytiTemos pavadinimas: Re: Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell )   Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell ) Icon_minitimeSk. 08 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Man patiko sitas interviu :}
Tiek daug apie muzika sneka Very Happy
As ir taip seniai sakiau kad vaikus su roku ir metalu auginsiu, o cia tik patvirtina, kad tada jie normalus isaugs Very Happy
Reiskias nuspresta apie vaikus, kurie dar greit neturesiu xD
Atgal į viršų Go down
Sponsored content

RašytiTemos pavadinimas: Re: Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell )   Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell ) Icon_minitime

Atgal į viršų Go down

Guitar World Interviu: Jake Pitts, Jinxx ( & Ben Bruce, Cameron Liddell )
Atgal į viršų 
Puslapis 11